Updated: Jul 3
Pattern is toe up and written for magic loop knitting one sock at the same time, but is easily adaptable to DPNs and knitting two socks at a time.
Yarn: 4ply / Fingering sock yarn.
Needles: 2.75mm long circular needles, or needles required to get gauge. I prefer finer tipped needles to make the lace knitting easier.
Gauge: 34 sts, 44 rows per 4 inch in stockinette.
Size: The pattern is written for a UK size 6.5 (EU 40, US 9). The length can be easily adapted and width can be changed by adding or removing stitches in multiples of 16. Size can also be altered by changing gauge.
· K (knit)
· K2tog (knit two stitches together)
· Ktbl (knit one stitch through the back loop)
· P (purl)
· ssk (slip, slip, knit two slipped stitches together)
· w&t (wrap and turn)
· yo (yarn over)
· sl 2 knitwise-k1-p2sso (slip, slip, knit one, pass two slipped stitches overthe knit stitch)
Cast on 16 stitches (8 on each needle using magic loop method)
I like to use Judy’s magic cast-on for toe-up socks (free tutorial here) and cast on both socks at a time on long circular needles.
Round 1: *K1, yo, K to last st on needle, yo, K1* twice (4 sts increased)
Round 2: *K1, Ktbl, K to last two sts on needle, Ktbl, K1* twice
Repeat rounds 1 & 2 until you have a total of 60 stitches (30 on each needle)
Start the lace pattern in the first 30 stitches of each round (place a stitch marker at the start of the round to help keep track), then K to end of round.
(repeat section between * * 3 times)
1. K all
2. * yo, ssk, K6 * repeat 3 times, yo, ssk, K4
3. K all
4. K1 * yo, ssk, K3, k2tog, yo, K1 * repeat 3 times, yo, ssk, K3
5. K all
6. k2 * yo, ssk, K1, k2tog, yo, K3 * repeat 3 times, yo, ssk, K2
7. K all
8. k2tog * yo, K5, yo, sl 2 knitwise-k1-p2sso * repeat 3 times, yo, K4
9. K all
10. K4 * yo, ssk, K6 * repeat 3 times, yo, ssk
11. K all
12. K2, k2tog * yo, K1, yo, ssk, K3, k2tog * repeat 3 times, yo, K2
13. K all
14. K1, * k2tog, yo, K3, yo, ssk, K1 * repeat 3 times, k2tog, yo, K3
15. K all
16. K3, * yo, sl 2 knitwise-k1-p2sso, yo, K5* repeat 3 times, yo, k2tog, K1
Work the lace pattern until piece measures approx. 3.5 inches / 9 cm shorter than desired length. Note down which round of the lace pattern you ended on as you will continue this for the leg.
I like to knit the "Fish Lips Kiss Heel", this is a separate, paid for pattern. However it’s a great resource for any sock knitter and I highly recommend downloading it here.
However you can use any heel technique you prefer for example the short rows (free tutorial here):
On half the stitches (30):
Row 1: K all st until 1 st remains, w&t
Row 2: P all st until 1 st remains, w&t
Row 3: K until 1st before wrapped st from previous row, w&t
Row 4: P until 1st before wrapped st from previous row, w&t
Repeat rows 3 & R 4 until you have 12 "live" unwrapped st in the middle. Finish on a Purl Row.
Row 5: K to first wrapped st. Pick up the wrap and K it together with the wrapped st, w&t. (2 wraps around this stitch)
Row 6: P to first wrapped st. Pick up the wrap and P it together with the wrapped st, w&t.
Row 7: K to the double-wrapped st, pick up both wraps and K them to tog with the wrapped st, w&t.
Row 8: P to the double-wrapped st, pick up both wraps and P them tog with the wrapped st, w&t.
Rep rows 7 & 8 until all wraps have been picked up and worked tog with their respective sts.
Continue working in the round making sure to continue lace pattern from where you left off on the front of the rounds.
Once you reach the desired leg length begin K2, P2 ribbing for 10 rows.
Cast off with stretchy cast off technique (free tutorial here):
1. K2tog through back loops
2. Return stich to left needle
Repeat these steps until all stitches are cast off.